Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sick

Well on the way to recovery again, but I got pretty sick there for a while. It all starts with a call from the doctor to say I 'cultured' a bad bug in my sputum sample and I should go on stronger antibiotics. I knew I had been very 'productive' in that department but that has been so for a year or more now - which has kept me on antibiotics ever since before I even went on the big ride in Europe.

So I change antibiotics to the reccomended ones, the ones that are tested in the lab as being the most effective. inhaled Tobramycin and Ciprofloxacin. I stopped taking my regular broad spectrum antibiotic and started on them. Within days I was really sick. To me these antibiotics obviously do not seem to work as well as the regular stuff I take. I could hardly breathe until after a week I called up and asked if I could take my regular antibiotics as well. So I started on them and now I feel much better again.... Lesson to be learned?

Next week I am going into hospital to get a real big dose of IV antibiotics to clear up my lungs. I have avoided this for 7 years or so since the last time I went in for such 'tune-up'. I am going on the provision I can leave everyday for a walk. Bummer it is in Hobart CBD and the car will be parked 20 minutes walk up the road with friends. I really do not like going into hospitals...

No comments: